Bourbon Bomboclaat – Imperial Coconut Cocoa Stout aged in a Bourbon Barrel
Here’s our barrel aged version of Bomboclaat!
Deep black with a solid cream-coloured head, that’s Bierol Bomboclaat, Gault Millau’s beer of the year 2019. The idea for this beer appeared in the summer of 2017, when the team first pondered producing a special brew for the winter season. At 32 degrees centigrade that wasn’t easy and, in fact, caused quite a sweat. Somehow, this made Christoph, Max and Marko think of a holiday in Jamaica and thus a coconut. Velvety coconut flakes combined with the chocolatey aroma of a massive stout plus a hint of roasted cocoa beans: that might work, they thought, and the Jamaican exclamation of joy, “Bomboclaat!”, gave them the perfect name. And the theoretical concept in their heads became reality: coconut chococcino in the nose and the first sip, an increasing sensation of fullness and complexity with this heavy stout – and in between notes of roasted malt, coconut and cocoa. Not a beer for quenching your thirst, but a long-lasting experience!
- Imperial stout with roasted cocoa beans and coconut flakes
- aged for 1,5 years in a Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrel
- More velvety, more chocolatey, more massive with notes of vanilla and wood
And that’s in it:
- Malt: Pilsner, Munich, Golden Naked Oats, DRC, Cara Red, Roasted Barley, Pale Chocolate
- Hops: East Kent Golding
- Yeast: WLP 007 Dry English Ale
- AND: roasted cocoa beans and roasted coconut flakes
- Alc.: 8.2% abv
- Original Gravity: 20°P
- IBU: 60
- EBC: 79